Instructions for use can be ambiguous; indeed they often are. Apply a few drops, apply liberally, use a generous helping, and shamefully, apply a small amount are phrases you might have seen and one of which we have used ourselves on beard oil labels. So how much beard oil should you use? If you just want to read the answer, then jump to the last paragraph.
The problem arises from the fact that beards come in all shapes and sizes. How long is a piece of string? You can’t answer it. It´s almost impossible, without coming up with a clever little algorithm which probably no one will understand, to present instructions for use that will cater for everyone. So most instructions go for the rule of extremes; do we want you to practically bathe in our product or simply add a fine layer?
The fact is, there is not a measure of Beard Oil that can be dictated on the label that will cater for each and every person. So, what is the answer?
We first need to look at why we add beard oil to our facial hair. The most basic reason is to condition (a word that we ought to really do a whole different post about) the beard hair. Ones hair and skin will absorb this oil to an extent a bit like a sponge. Let’s just look at the sponge analogy for a moment: add no water and the sponge is dry; add too much water and the sponge is saturated and dripping; but, add some water (there we go again with the ambiguous descriptor) and the sponge will be moist, but not dripping. It´s the same with beard oil. If you don´t add enough, the hair and skin won´t have benefited fully. If you add too much, you will be left with a face looking like you´ve dunked your head in a vat of oil.
Here is what you should do to determine how much beard oil is right for you:
- Start by adding just 2 or 3 drops of oil to your palm and rubbing through your beard.
- Look at your hands and rub your forefinger and thumb together. There should be no oily residue. This will mean that all the oil has been absorbed from your hand into your beard (clearly there will be some residue, but it shouldn’t be oily and slippery).
- Add 2-3 drops more and repeat step 2.
- Repeat the steps above as necessary. The point at which you´ve added too much is when you are left with oily palms.
- Make a note of how much you added, and add just a little less the next time you groom your beard.